Many English speakers are not familiar with the circumflex accent. Regardless, it is one of the most widely used accent marks or diacritics, and you can find it in most writing software and tools.
The different ways to make or type the letter I with circumflex accent are covered in this guide, along with many other techniques.
Let’s get started right away.
How to Type Letter i With a Hat / Circumflex Accent Mark for Windows and Mac
A standard keyboard does not have a key specifically for the letter I with a hat or circumflex accent, but it is still possible to type this symbol by using the other keys.
If you also use Microsoft Office or Google Docs, there are simple navigations and shortcuts you can use to insert this symbol into Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or Google Docs.
To give you more options, SymbolHippo has developed a special online Circumflex accent keyboard that allows you to type and place the Circumflex accent sign above or below any letter, including the letter “I.”
Without further ado, here are the various methods for obtaining this and any other accented letter.
Method 1: Copy I With a Hat / Circumflex Accent Text
If you don’t have time to learn the shortcuts, this is by far the simplest way to get the “I With Circumflex accent”.
Simply click the button above to copy this character, then switch to wherever you need it and paste it there.
Below, however, you’ll find additional options for acquiring the letter “I With a Hat.”
Method 2: Using the Online Circumflex Accent Keyboard
As mentioned at the beginning of this post, SymbolHippo has developed a special online Circumflex accent keyboard that allows users to place the Circumflex accent on any letter.
This section will explain to you how to make use of this tool.
Step 1. Go to the Circumflex Accent Keyboard page.
Step 2. Type the letter on which you want to place the Circumflex accent. In this case, type in the letter “I” or “i”.
Step 3. Click the “Circumflex Accent Above” button to place the accent mark above the letter i. If you need this sign to be placed below the letter, click the “Circumflex Accent Below” instead.
Step 4. Hit the Copy button to get the I With Circumflex Accent mark on your clipboard.
Once this symbol is copied, you can switch to where you need it and paste it there.
These are the simple steps you may use to get the Circumflex accent mark on any letter using this online keyboard.
Method 3: i With Circumflex Accent Alt Code for Windows (Keyboard Shortcut)
The i With Circumflex Accent Alt Code shortcut is Alt + 0206 for uppercase or Alt + 0238 for lowercase î with a hat symbol.
NOTE: These Alt Code shortcuts work on Windows only. To get it on Mac, refer to the next method.
You can use the Alt code method to type this symbol by pressing and holding the Alt key while typing the Symbol Alt code (0206 or 0238) using the numeric keypad on the right.
Below are detailed steps to type I With Circumflex accent on the keyboard using these alt codes.
- Open the document where you want to type the I With Circumflex Accent mark.
- Place your cursor at the desired location.
- Press and hold down the Alt key.
- As you hold down the Alt key, press the I With Circumflex Alt Code (0206 for uppercase or 0238 for lowercase).
- After typing the code, release the Alt key.
Once you release the Alt key, the symbol (Î or î) will immediately appear where you place the insertion point.
Method 4: How to type I With Circumflex Accent on Mac
In this section, we’ll explore three easy ways to type the I With Circumflex Accent on Mac.
Let’s get into it.
Option 1: Using the Accent Menu
To type I with the Circumflex accent on Mac using the Accent Menu:
- Press and hold the “I” key. A small menu with an available selection of “I with Accent Marks” will appear above, each with a corresponding number.
- Press the number that corresponds to the I With Circumflex accent to add it automatically.
Option 2: Using Dead keys
On a computer keyboard, a dead key is a specific modifier key used to add a diacritic to a given base letter.
Using this dead key feature, you can quickly type the I With a Hat symbol on Mac.
To do so, press Option+ i, then press the letter i immediately after that.
Option 3: Using the Character Viewer
The character viewer is used to enter all kinds of symbols, including emojis.
Obey the following instructions to add the I With Circumflex accent using the character viewer.
- Place the insertion point in the text where you want to type the I With a Hat symbol.
- To open the Character Viewer, press Command-Control-Space.
- In the upper-right corner, click the expand button next to Search more categories.
- Select Latin on the left sidebar. This will open a list of accented characters.
- Double-click on the I With Circumflex Accent Mark to insert it into the document.
Method 5: Insert I With a Hat or Circumflex Accent in Word/Excel/PowerPoint
For Microsoft Office users like Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, you can use this simple mouse navigation to insert the I With Circumflex Accent quickly.
The below steps will show you how to insert this Circumflex accented letter in Word or Excel or PowerPoint.
- Open your Microsoft Office document.
- Go to the Insert Tab.
- At the far-right section, you’ll see the Symbols group. Select Symbol > More Symbols.
The Symbol window will appear as below.
- From this window, you can find the symbol (Î or î).
- To locate it easily, type 00CE or 00EE in the Character code: box.
As soon as you type the character code, the I With a Hat symbol above will appear selected.
- Click the Insert button to insert it into your Word document.
- Close the Symbol dialog.
These are the steps you may use to insert this (Î or î) and any other symbol in Microsoft Word or other Office apps for both Windows and Mac OS.
Method 6: Inserting I With Circumflex Accent in Google Docs
Google Docs is yet another text editor that people struggle with when typing or inserting the I With Circumflex Accent.
Meanwhile, Google Docs has one of the easiest ways to insert symbols not found on the keyboard.
Without further ado, let’s see how this is done.
To get the I With Circumflex Accent mark in Google Docs:
- Open Google Docs and place your cursor where you need the symbol.
- Go to Insert > Special Characters.
The Insert special characters window will appear with a search bar and a drawing pad.
- Using the Search bar, search for ‘I With Circumflex.’ This symbol should show in the search results. Double-click on it to insert it into Google Docs.
- You can also use the drawing pad below the search bar to draw the Symbol. If Google Docs recognizes the drawing, it’ll display the symbol and similar signs in the results box. Then all you need to do is double-click on the symbol to insert it.
These are the steps you may use to insert this and any other symbol in Google Docs.
Method 7: Get I With Circumflex Accent on the Character Map (Windows)
The Character Map in Windows is a tool that is used to view characters in any installed font, to check what keyboard input (or Alt code) is used to type those characters, and to copy characters to the clipboard instead of typing them.
This section will walk you through the process of copying and pasting the I With Circumflex Accent mark on top using the Character Map tools.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
- Go to the Windows Start menu and search for Character Map.
- The Character Map app will appear in the search result. Click on it to Launch.
- When it is open, look at the bottom left of the window and click to expand the Advance view options.
- To easily locate this symbol on the Character Map, type ‘I With Circumflex in the ‘search for‘ box and hit enter.
The symbol will appear for you to copy.
- To copy this symbol, double-click on it, and it’ll be selected in the Characters to copy box. Then click on the Copy button to finally copy it to your clipboard.
- Place your cursor wherever you need the symbol and press Ctrl and V to paste the copied symbol.
And there you have it.
These are the steps you may also use to copy and paste this symbol or any other symbol on your Windows PC.
Method 8: Type I With Circumflex accent in Word using Unicode
Unicode is a universal character encoding standard that assigns a unique number to each character across languages and scripts, allowing nearly any character to be displayed in any application on any device.
In MS Word, you can also this Unicode to type Circumflex i Accent for both lowercase and uppercase.
The Unicode for the I With Circumflex accent is 00EE for uppercase and 00CE for lowercase.
Obey the below instructions to use Unicode to type characters in Word:
- Copy the Unicode.
- Launch MS Word and type or paste this code where you need to type the symbol.
- After pasting or typing in the code, select or highlight it and press Alt+X on your keyboard.
As soon as you hit the Alt X keys, the I With Circumflex accent above should appear in place of the Unicode.
Typing I with Circumflex Accent Mark Above/Below: Conclusion
We’ve tried to cover as many methods as possible for typing the I With Circumflex Accent on top or below.
Most people have difficulty typing or inserting this symbol. So, we’ve broken down the methods and steps required to type or insert it on Windows, Mac, Microsoft Word, and Google Docs, while in some cases using the keyboard.
Thank you for taking the time to read this blog and have a wonderful day.