The table below contains a list of superscript symbols along with their alt codes and keyboard shortcuts.
Before we dive into the list, obey the instructions below to type any of these symbols using the superscript symbols alt code method.
- Open MS Word (this is because some of the alt codes listed below can only work in Microsoft Word).
- Press and hold the Alt key on your Windows keyboard.
- As you hold on to the alt key, press the alt code of the particular Superscript symbol you need. (Note: Only the numeric keypad on the right side of your keyboard can be used for this task. So, ensure that your Num Lock key is disabled. If your laptop doesn’t have this separate numeric keyboard, you may need to use an external one or use the other methods described right after this section)
- After holding down the Alt key and typing the Alt code, release the Alt key. This will insert the superscript symbol whose alt code you typed.
- Once the text symbol is inputted into your MS Word, you can copy and paste it wherever you desire.
Without any further ado, let’s get into the list of Alt codes for superscript symbols.
|Description||Symbol||Alt Code||Keyboard Shortcut|
|Superscript zero||⁰||8304||Alt + 8304|
|Superscript information||ⁱ||8305||Alt + 8305|
|Superscript one||¹||0185||Alt + 0185|
|Superscript two||²||0178||Alt + 0179|
|Superscript three||³||0179||Alt + 0179|
|Superscript four||⁴||8308||Alt + 8308|
|Superscript five||⁵||8309||Alt + 8309|
|Superscript six||⁶||8310||Alt + 8310|
|Superscript seven||⁷||8311||Alt + 8311|
|Superscript eight||⁸||8312||Alt + 8312|
|Superscript nine||⁹||8313||Alt + 8313|
|Superscript plus||⁺||8314||Alt + 8314|
|Superscript minus||⁻||8315||Alt + 8315|
|Superscript equal||⁼||8316||Alt + 8316|
|Superscript left parenthesis||⁽||8317||Alt + 8317|
|right parenthesis||⁾||8318||Alt + 8318|
|Superscript small letter n||ⁿ||8319||Alt + 8319|
Insert Superscript Text Symbols in Word/Excel/PowerPoint
Aside from using the Alt code method to get Superscript symbols, you can also quickly insert a lot of Superscript text symbols in Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, or PowerPoint by using these simple methods.
The steps below will show you how to insert Superscript Symbols in Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
Using keyboard shortcuts
- Place your cursor where you want to insert the superscript or subscript.
- Or, select the existing text that you want to format as a superscript or subscript.
- Then press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + + to get the superscript
Using the Superscript button
- Select the Home tab in the ribbon
- Place your cursor where you want to insert the superscript.
- Or, select the existing text that you want to format as a superscript.
- Select the Superscript button in the Font group.
Using the Font dialogue box
- Select the text you want to format as either a superscript.
- Open the “Home” tab and then click the arrow in the bottom-right corner of the Font section to open the Font dialog box.
- Click the box for “Superscript” and click “OK.”
Using Symbol Dialogue Box
- Fire up MS Word or Excel, or PowerPoint document.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- On the far-right section, you’ll see the Symbols group. Select Symbol > More Symbols.
The Symbol window will appear as below.
The Superscript text symbol can be found in this window. To easily locate superscript symbols in this window, go to the Subset: drop-down and select Superscript and subscript Symbols from the list to filter out all the superscript symbols in the World.
- Locate the symbol you need and insert it into your Office document by clicking the Insert button.
- Close the Symbol dialog.
These are the steps for inserting the Superscript Text Symbols and any other symbol in Microsoft Word or other Office apps on both Windows and Mac OS.
Superscript Symbols Text in Google Docs
Google Docs is another text editor with which users may struggle to type or insert Superscript Symbols. This is mainly because some Superscript symbol alt codes do not work on this text editor.
Meanwhile, Google Docs provides one of the simplest methods for inserting these symbols.
Below are the steps you may use to get any Superscript symbol in Google Docs.
To get the Superscript Symbols in Google Docs:
- Launch Google Docs and position your cursor where the symbol will be inserted.
- Go to Insert > Special Characters.
The Insert special characters window will appear, which includes a search bar and a drawing pad.
- Using the Search bar, search for the name of the particular Superscript symbol you wish to insert. You should see it appear in the search results. double-click on it to insert it into Google Docs.
- You can also draw the Superscript Symbol using the drawing pad located below the search bar. If Google Docs recognizes the drawing, it will display the symbol and similar signs in the results box. Then double-click the symbol to insert it.
These are the steps to insert any symbol into Google Docs.
Superscript Symbols on The Character Map (for Windows users)
If you cannot use the Superscript Symbol Alt code, the character map is available at your disposal.
In Windows, the Character Map is a tool that can be used to view characters in any installed font, determine what keyboard input (or Alt code) is used to type those characters and copy characters to the clipboard instead of typing them with your keyboard.
This section will demonstrate how to use the Character Map tools to copy and paste any Superscript text symbol easily.
Without further ado, let’s get into it.
- Search for Character Map in the Windows Start menu.
- You should see the character Map appear in the search results. Click on it to launch it.
- When it opens up, go to the bottom left corner of the window and click to expand the Advanced view options.
- To easily locate the Superscript Symbols on the Character Map, change the Font to Segoe UI Symbol and search for the name of the particular superscript symbol in the search box.
The superscript symbols will be displayed for you to copy.
- To copy these symbols, double-click them, and they will be selected in the Characters to Copy box. Then, finally, click the Copy button to copy them to your clipboard.
- Place your cursor where you want the symbols and press Ctrl + V to paste.
And there you have it.
Aside from using the Superscript symbols Alt Codes to type them on the keyboard, these are the other methods you can use to get any Superscript text symbol.