Σ or σ | Sigma Symbols (Meaning, Type on Keyboard, Copy & Paste) – For Lowercase & Uppercase
This guide will teach you a lot about the Sigma Symbols, both the uppercase and lowercase.
First, we’ll look at their meanings, HTML & CSS Codes, Alt codes, then the steps you may take to type these symbols text on your keyboard, and many more.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
Copy Sigma Text Symbols
The easiest way to get the Sigma text symbols is to copy and paste them wherever you need them. The copy buttons above will save you some time in doing so.
After copying these symbols, you can paste them anywhere by pressing Ctrl and V on your keyboard.
Meaning of Sigma Symbols
|Greek Capital Letter Sigma Symbol (Σ)||The Greek capital letter sigma is a mathematical symbol representing the sum of a series of terms. It is typically used in calculus and other advanced mathematics courses. For example, the Greek capital letter Σ is used in algebra to represent the summation operator. The first use of the sigma symbol was by the Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in 1755. He used it to describe the sum of a series of numbers. Today, the sigma symbol is used in many branches of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and calculus.|
|Greek Small Letter Sigma Symbol(σ)||The Small Letter Sigma Symbol is the Modern Greek alphabet’s 18th letter. In math, this symbol represents the Weierstrass sigma-function, the standard deviation in theoretical spectral analysis, the elasticity of substitution in macroeconomics, stock volatility in finance, the damping ratio in electrical engineering, velocity dispersion in astronomy, cross-sections and Pauli matrices in physics, and “stress” in engineering fields.|
Continue reading for more details on these symbols.
Sigma Symbols Information Table
The table below depicts a bird’s-eye-view of the Sigma Symbols.
It summarizes to include all the essential and technical information these symbols. We will keep updating it to include the latest facts.
|NAME||Greek Capital Letter Sigma||Greek Small Letter Sigma|
|CATEGORY||Math Symbols, Greek Letters||Math Symbols, Greek Letters|
|SHORTCUT 1||Alt + 931||Alt + 963|
|SHORTCUT 2||03A3, Alt + X||03C3, Alt + X|
Note: The shortcuts in this table can only work in Microsoft Word for Windows.
To the best of our ability, the above table has presented helpful information about these text Symbols, including the keyboard shortcuts, Unicode, and HTML codes.
Continue reading to better understand how to type these symbols using the keyboard and some other methods.
How to Type the Sigma Symbols on Keyboard
Although there is no dedicated key on the keyboard to type the Sigma Symbols, you can still get them through the keyboard.
You can also insert these symbols in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or Google Docs if you use one of the Microsoft Office or Google apps.
Below you’ll find several methods for accessing these symbols, including keyboard shortcuts and methods utilizing MS Office and Google Docs’ built-in navigation systems.
The Sigma Alt Code (Keyboard Shortcut)
|Sigma Symbol||Alt Code|
Note: These Alt Code shortcuts work in Microsoft Word for Windows only.
This Alt code method can type these symbols by holding down the Alt key while typing the above alt codes on the keyboard’s separate numeric keypad.
Below is a detailed step-by-step guide you may use to type the Symbol for Sigma with your keyboard.
- Open your Microsoft Word document where you need to type these symbols.
- Place your cursor in the document where you need to type these symbols.
- On the keyboard, press down the Alt key with one hand.
- As you hold down the Alt key, use your other hand to press the Sigma Symbol Alt Code.
- Now release the Alt key.
After you release the Alt key, the symbol whose alt code you typed will immediately appear exactly where you place the cursor.
Insert Sigma Symbols in Word/Excel/PowerPoint
Using this simple mouse navigation, you can quickly insert the Sigma Symbols in Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
The steps below will show you how to insert these symbols in Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
- Open your Word or Excel, or PowerPoint document.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- On the far-right section, you’ll see the Symbols group. Select Symbol > More Symbols.
The Symbol window will appear as below.
The symbols (Σ and σ) can be found in this window. To find it quickly, change the font to Segoe UI Symbol, then in the Character code, type 03A3 (for Σ) or 03C3 (for σ). The Sigma sign will be selected as soon as you type the code.
- Insert it into your Word document by clicking the Insert button.
- Close the Symbol dialog.
These are the steps for inserting the Sigma Symbols (Σ σ) and any other symbol in Microsoft Word or other Office apps on both Windows and Mac OS.
Sigma Symbols In Google Docs
Google Docs is another text editor with which users may struggle to type or insert the Sigma Symbols.
Meanwhile, Google Docs provides the most straightforward method for inserting symbols not found on the keyboard.
Without further ado, let’s get into it.
To get these symbols in Google Docs:
- Launch Google Docs and position your cursor where the symbol will be inserted.
- Go to Insert > Special Characters.
The Insert special characters window will appear., which includes a search bar and a drawing pad.
- Using the Search bar, search for Sigma. Then, double-click on the text Symbol in the search results to insert it into Google Docs.
- You can also draw the Sigma Symbols using the drawing pad located below the search bar. If Google Docs recognizes the drawing, it will display the symbol and similar signs in the results box. Then double-click the symbol to insert it.
These are the steps to insert this and any other symbol into Google Docs.
Sigma Symbols on The Character Map (Windows)
In Windows, the Character Map is a tool that can be used to view characters in any installed font, determine what keyboard input (or Alt code) is used to type those characters, and copy characters to the clipboard instead of typing them with your keyboard.
This section will demonstrate how to use the Character Map tools to easily copy and paste these symbols.
Without further ado, let’s get into it.
- Search for Character Map in the Windows Start menu.
- You should see the character Map appear in the search results. Click on it to launch it.
- When it’s open, go to the bottom left corner of the window and click to expand the Advance view options.
- To easily locate these symbols on the Character Map, change the Font to Segoe UI Symbol and search for the symbol name (Sigma) in the search box.
The symbols will be displayed for you to copy.
- To copy these symbols, double-click it, and it will be selected in the Characters to copy box. Then, click the Copy button to copy it to your clipboard.
- Place your cursor where you want the symbol and press Ctrl + V to paste it.
And there you have it.
You can take these steps to copy and paste the Sigma Symbols or other symbols on your Windows PC.
Most people have difficulty typing or inserting these symbols. So, we’ve broken down the various methods and steps required to type or get it into your documents.
And as you can see above, we’ve attempted to cover as much information about the Sigma text Symbol as possible.
Thank you for taking the time to go through this blog.