This post will teach you a lot about the Horizontal Bar or Horizontal Line Symbol.
First, we’ll look at its meaning, HTML, CSS, and Alt codes, Copy & Paste button, then the steps you may take to type this symbol text on your keyboard, and many more.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
Copy Horizontal Bar Symbol Text
The easiest way to get the Horizontal Line text symbol is to copy and paste it wherever you need it. The copy button above will save you some time in doing so.
After copying this symbol, you can paste it anywhere by pressing Ctrl and V on your keyboard.
Meaning of the Horizontal Bar Symbol
In the English language, a horizontal bar is used to represent a pause or break in meaning and it can also represent missing letters or words. Sometimes, a horizontal line can be used informally instead of colons, brackets, and commas. Sometimes a space is left on both sides of the horizontal bar and sometimes no space is left.
For instance, a horizontal line is used to show a pause or break in the meaning of some words in the middle of a sentence. An example of this is: My sisters — Emma and Sandra — are visiting Hanoi. Here the — is replacing commas.
In Unicode, the Horizontal Bar text symbol is the character at code point U+02015. Its HTML code is ― and you can type it on your keyboard by pressing Alt + 8213 (in MS Word Only).
Continue reading for more details on this symbol.
Horizontal Bar/Horizontal Line Symbol Information Table
The table below depicts a bird’s-eye-view of the Horizontal Bar symbol.
It summarizes to include all the essential and technical information about this symbol. We will keep updating it to include the latest facts.
|SHORTCUT 1 (MS WORD)
|Alt + 8213
|SHORTCUT 2 (MS WORD)
|02015, Alt X
To the best of our ability, the above table presents some technical information about this text Symbol, including the keyboard shortcut, Unicode, and HTML code.
Continue reading to better understand how to type this symbol using the keyboard and other methods.
How to Type the Horizontal Bar Symbol
Although there is no dedicated key on the keyboard to type the Horizontal Line symbol, you can still get it through the keyboard.
You can also insert this symbol in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or Google Docs if you use one of the Microsoft Office or Google apps.
Below you’ll find several methods for accessing this symbol, including keyboard shortcuts and methods utilizing MS Office and Google Docs’ built-in navigation systems.
The Horizontal Bar Alt Code (Keyboard Shortcut)
The Horizontal Bar Alt Code is Alt + 8213.
Note: This Alt Code shortcut works in Microsoft Word for Windows only.
This Alt code method can be used to type this symbol by holding down the Alt key while typing 8213 on the separate numeric keypad on the right side of the keyboard.
Below is a detailed step-by-step guide you may use to type the Symbol for the Identical To with your keyboard.
- Open your Microsoft Word document where you need to type this symbol.
- Place your cursor in the document where you need to type this symbol.
- On the keyboard, press down the Alt key with one hand.
- As you hold down the Alt key, use your other hand to press the Horizontal Bar symbol Alt Code (8213).
- Now release the Alt key.
After you release the Alt key, the symbol (―) will immediately appear precisely where you place the cursor.
Insert Horizontal Bar Symbol in Word/Excel/PowerPoint
Using this simple mouse navigation, you can quickly insert the Horizontal line Symbol into Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
The steps below will show you how to insert this symbol in Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
- Open your Word or Excel, or PowerPoint document.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- On the far-right section, you’ll see the Symbols group. Select Symbol > More Symbols.
The Symbol window will appear.
- The symbol (―) can be found in this window. To find it quickly, type 2015 in the Character code: box. The Horizontal Bar sign will be selected as soon as you type the code.
- Insert it into your Word document by clicking the Insert button.
- Close the Symbol dialog.
These are the steps for inserting the Horizontal line symbol (―) and any other symbol in Microsoft Word or other Office apps on Windows and Mac OS.
Horizontal Bar Symbol In Google Docs
Google Docs is another text editor with which users may struggle to type or insert the Horizontal Bar sign.
Meanwhile, Google Docs provides the most straightforward method for inserting symbols not found on the keyboard.
Without further ado, let’s get into it.
To get this Symbol in Google Docs:
- Launch Google Docs and position your cursor where the symbol will be inserted.
- Go to Insert > Special Characters.
The Insert special characters window will appear, which includes a search bar and a drawing pad.
- Using the Search bar, search for horizontal bar. Then, double-click on the text Symbol in the search results to insert it into Google Docs.
- You can also draw the Horizontal Bar Symbol using the drawing pad below the search bar. If Google Docs recognizes the drawing, it will display the symbol and similar signs in the results box. Then double-click the symbol to insert it.
These steps are to insert this and any other symbol into Google Docs.
Horizontal Bar Symbol on The Character Map (Windows)
In Windows, the Character Map is a tool that can be used to view characters in any installed font, determine what keyboard input (or Alt code) is used to type those characters and copy characters to the clipboard instead of typing them with your keyboard.
This section will demonstrate how to use the Character Map tools to easily copy and paste this Symbol.
Without further ado, let’s get into it.
- Search for Character Map in the Windows Start menu.
- You should see the character Map appear in the search results. Click on it to launch it.
- When it’s open, go to the bottom left corner of the window and click to expand the Advance view options.
- To quickly locate this symbol on the Character Map, search for the symbol name (horizontal bar) in the search box.
The symbol will be displayed for you to copy.
- To copy this symbol, double-click it, and it will be selected in the Characters to Copy box. Then, click the Copy button to copy it to your clipboard.
- Place your cursor where you want the symbol and press Ctrl + V to paste it.
And there you have it.
You can take these steps to copy and paste the Horizontal Bar symbol or other symbols on your Windows PC.
Adding Horizontal Bar Symbol in HTML/CSS
The Horizontal bar Symbol can also be added in HTML and CSS using entities.
HTML and CSS entities are special codes used to represent characters that have special meanings or cannot be displayed as regular text in HTML and CSS.
Using entity codes is important for ensuring that HTML and CSS code is valid and can be interpreted correctly by web browsers.
The HTML code for the Horizontal Bar symbol is ―
The CSS code for the Horizontal Bar Symbol is \2015
To add the Horizontal Bar Symbol to an HTML page, you can use its entity name or number (decimal or hexadecimal reference) as shown in the example below:
// html example
<span> ― </span>
To display the Horizontal Bar from CSS, you can use a CSS shortcode or CSS entity, as shown in the example below:
// css example
Most people have difficulty typing or inserting this symbol. So, we’ve broken down the various methods and steps required to type or get it into your documents.
And as you can see above, we’ve attempted to cover as much information about the Horizontal Bar line Symbol as possible.
Thank you for taking the time to go through this blog.