Empty Set or Null set symbol (Ø) is a mathematical symbol used to indicate a unique set that has no elements. It is denoted by O with a forward slash. This symbol is available in standard HTML as ∅ and in Unicode, it is the character at code point U+2205, or 8709 in decimal notation.
For more information about this symbol, continue reading below.
Copy Empty Set Symbol Text
The easiest way to get the Null Set Symbol text is to copy and paste it wherever you need it.
Save yourself some time with the copy button above.
Once it is copied, switch over to where you need this symbol and press Ctrl and V on your keyboard to paste it there.
Empty Set Symbol Information Table
The table below contains some useful information about the Empty Set Symbol.
|SHORTCUT (MS WORD)||Alt + 0216|
|SHORTCUT (MAC)||Not Available|
|SHORTCUT (MS WORD)||2205, Alt X|
As much as possible, the above table has done a great deal in presenting some useful information about the Empty Set Symbol including keyboard shortcut, Unicode and html code.
The remaining section will explain this table further.
How to Get the Empty Set Sign
Even though there’s no dedicated key for the Empty Set symbol on the keyboard, you can still get this symbol using the keyboard.
If you are also using any of the Microsoft Office or Google apps, there are quick navigations you can perform to insert this symbol in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or Google Docs.
Without any further ado, below are the various ways to get this symbol whether with your keyboard or using the navigation in MS Office or Google Docs.
Symbol for Empty Set Alt Code (Keyboard Shortcut)
The Empty Set Symbol Alt Code is Alt + 0216.
You can simply use the Alt code method to type this symbol by pressing and holding the Alt key while typing the Symbol Alt code (0216) using the numeric keypad on the right.
Below are detailed steps you may use to type the Symbol for Empty Set with your keyboard.
- Open your Word document where you need to type the sign for Empty Set.
- Place your cursor at the desired location.
- Press and hold down the Alt key.
- Whilst holding down the Alt key, press the Empty Set Alt Code (0216).
- After typing the code, release the Alt key.
As soon as you release the Alt key, the symbol (Ø) will immediately appear exactly where you place the cursor.
Insert Null Set Symbol in Word/Excel/PowerPoint
For Microsoft Office users like Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, you can use this simple mouse navigation to quickly insert the Empty Set sign.
Below steps will show you how to insert the Symbol for Empty Set in Word or Excel or PowerPoint.
- Open your Word or Excel or PowerPoint document.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- At the far-right section, you’ll see the Symbols group. Select Symbol > More Symbols.
The Symbol window will appear as below.
- From this window, you can find the symbol (Ø). To find it easily, type 00D8 in the Character code: box. As soon as you type the character code, the Empty Set sign will appear selected.
- Click the Insert button to insert it into your Word document.
- Close the Symbol dialog.
These are the steps you may use to insert the this (Ø) and any other symbol in Microsoft Word or other Office apps in both Windows and Mac OS.
Empty Set Sign in Google Docs
Google Docs is yet another text editor that people struggle with when it comes to typing or inserting the Sign for Empty Set.
Meanwhile, Google Docs has the easiest way to insert symbols that are not found on the keyboard. Without further ado, let’s see how this is done.
To get the Empty Set Symbol in Google Docs:
- Open Google Docs and place your cursor where you need the symbol.
- Go to Insert > Special Characters.
The Insert special characters window will appear with a search bar and a drawing pad.
- Using the Search bar, search for Empty Set. Then double click on the Symbol for Empty Set in the search results to insert it into Google Docs.
- You can also use the drawing pad below the search bar to draw the Symbol for Empty Set. If Google Docs recognize the drawing, it’ll display the symbol and similar signs in the results box. Then double click the symbol to insert it.
These are the steps you may use to insert this and any other symbol in Google Docs.
As much as possible, we’ve tried to cover a lot of information about the Empty Set Symbol.
Most people find it difficult to type or insert this symbol. So, we’ve broken down the several methods and steps needed to be able to type or get it in Word.
Thanks so much for reading this blog and have a wonderful day.