Proportion symbol (∷) is a mathematical symbol that is denoted by ∷. This symbol is available in standard HTML as ∷ and in Unicode, it is the character at code point U+2237, or 8759 in decimal notation.
For more information about this symbol, continue reading below.
Copy Proportion Symbol Text
The easiest way to get the Proportion Symbol text is to copy and paste it wherever you need it.
Save yourself some time with the copy button above.
Once it is copied, switch over to where you need this symbol and press Ctrl and V on your keyboard to paste it there.
Proportion Symbol Information Table
The table below contains some useful information about the Proportion Symbol.
|SHORTCUT (MS WORD)||Alt + 8759|
|SHORTCUT (MAC)||Not Available|
|SHORTCUT (MS WORD)||2237, Alt X|
As much as possible, the above table has done a great deal in presenting some useful information about the Proportion Symbol including keyboard shortcut, Unicode and html code.
The remaining section will explain this table further.
How to Get the Proportion Sign
Even though there’s no dedicated key for the Proportion symbol on the keyboard, you can still get this symbol using the keyboard.
If you are also using any of the Microsoft Office or Google apps, there are quick navigations you can perform to insert this symbol in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or Google Docs.
Without any further ado, below are the various ways to get this symbol whether with your keyboard or using the navigation in MS Office or Google Docs.
Symbol for Proportion Alt Code (Keyboard Shortcut)
The Proportion Symbol Alt Code is Alt + 8759.
Note: This Alt Code shortcut works in MS Word only.
You can simply use the Alt code method to type this symbol by pressing and holding the Alt key while typing the Symbol Alt code (8759) using the numeric keypad on the right.
Below are detailed steps you may use to type the Symbol for Proportion with your keyboard.
- Open your Word document where you need to type the sign for Proportion.
- Place your cursor at the desired location.
- Press and hold down the Alt key.
- Whilst holding down the Alt key, press the Proportion Alt Code (8759).
- After typing the code, release the Alt key.
As soon as you release the Alt key, the symbol (∷) will immediately appear exactly where you place the cursor.
NOTE: Using this Alt Code method, you can type this symbol only in MS Word for Windows.
Insert Proportion Symbol in Word/Excel/PowerPoint
For Microsoft Office users like Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, you can use this simple mouse navigation to quickly insert the Proportion sign.
Below steps will show you how to insert the Symbol for Proportion in Word or Excel or PowerPoint.
- Open your Word or Excel or PowerPoint document.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- At the far-right section, you’ll see the Symbols group. Select Symbol > More Symbols.
The Symbol window will appear as below.
- From this window, you can find the symbol (∷). To find it easily, type 2237 in the Character code: box. As soon as you type the character code, the Proportion sign will appear selected.
- Click the Insert button to insert it into your Word document.
- Close the Symbol dialog.
These are the steps you may use to insert the this (∷) and any other symbol in Microsoft Word or other Office apps in both Windows and Mac OS.
Proportion Symbol in Google Docs
Google Docs is yet another text editor that people struggle with when it comes to typing or inserting the Sign for Proportion.
Meanwhile, Google Docs has the easiest way to insert symbols that are not found on the keyboard. Without further ado, let’s see how this is done.
To get the Proportion Symbol in Google Docs:
- Open Google Docs and place your cursor where you need the symbol.
- Go to Insert > Special Characters.
The Insert special characters window will appear with a search bar and a drawing pad.
- Using the Search bar, search for Proportion. Then double click on the Symbol for Proportion in the search results to insert it into Google Docs.
- You can also use the drawing pad below the search bar to draw the Symbol for Proportion. If Google Docs recognize the drawing, it’ll display the symbol and similar signs in the results box. Then double click the symbol to insert it.
These are the steps you may use to insert this and any other symbol in Google Docs.
As much as possible, we’ve tried to cover a lot of information about the Proportion Symbol.
Most people find it difficult to type or insert this symbol. So, we’ve broken down the several methods and steps needed to be able to type or get it in Word.
Thanks so much for reading this blog and have a wonderful day.